Friday, April 22, 2011

NAVY HPSP Scholarship

I have been asked several times about the NAVY HPSP scholarship, so I thought that I would tell a little about it. I haven't been accepted into it quite yet, but here's the process.

I applied about 6 weeks ago after having to fill out ALL KINDS of paperwork (mostly online). There was a security clearance that I had to fill out that asked me every question under the sun. You pretty much had to list everything that had to do with family, credit, acquaintances, where you've lived, worked, medical history, etc. I then had to create a resume (which I haven't done in forever). I moved last year and also mis-placed my Social Security card, so I had to go to the local SS office to get a new one. That took around a week. I then went down to Charlotte, from Asheville, to meet with the Health Professions Officer. It was there that he asked me a ton of questions and got all of my paperwork together. Because I had LASIK before, I had to get my old records and any other medical records to him as well. After meeting with him for 2 hours, I had to get a thorough physical. They tested hearing, eyesight, drew blood, drug test, alcohol test, disease tests, as well as others. The exam was at 2:30pm and I couldn't eat from 10pm the night before. I was STARVING. So after they drew blood, they gave me a pack of crackers until I could get some real food (which would later turn out to be Wendy's ugh). After gathering all of my information, he sent it to the NAVY board to be reviewed. They then had an officer meet with me in my town to discuss and go over my security clearance. This is standard practice and takes about an hour. This guy had went to the court house and found EVERYTHING out about me. There was nothing bad, but he had me explain every single traffic ticket that I had gotten. I haven't had one in about 3 years, but on my record was 4-5 of these. Anyway, I finished up that and was told that it can take about a month longer before I will hear anything. If I'm accepted, I'll go over the pay, benefits, and time I must put in to "pay back" this scholarship.

8 comments:

  1. If you don't mind me asking, why did you chose the Navy rather than the Army or Air Force?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Navy is the only one that does a 4 year scholarship. The other forces offer 1-3 yr scholarships. Also, the Army and Air Force didn't return my phone calls after I contacted their recruitment office multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keef - Just found you from SDN. Cool blog - I also almost ended up in military medicine- long story, it's in my blog under "The Post About My Sordid Past". Later! - Axl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Axl, I'll definitely take a look!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog. I'm subscribing and hope to hear more about the HPSP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I'll provide more info in the next couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to be doing my physical on Monday, but they never told me not to eat...hahah And I have to get there by 5:30 AM...-_-

    How long was your physical? The recruiter said I'll probably be done by 11 AM...

    Oh and I had the same experience as you. The Air Force medical recruiter never contacted me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My physical was probably an hour or so. I'm really good about needles and they don't bother me, but I was so hungry that by the time they drew blood, I was about to pass out! So they got me a soda and crackers!

    ReplyDelete