Friday, July 29, 2011

Where Are You?

It's been a while. Like I mentioned last time, I've been busy with the move, etc, but nonetheless, it's over. School starts on Monday (Aug 1st) and orientation is on Sunday. I'm starting to get pretty excited and can't wait to get into a routine. A couple of weeks ago, I met some of my future OD-1 classmates as we had a meet-n-greet at the beach. It was nice to put faces to the names that we've been seeing on our NOVA c/o 2015 Facebook Page. Brit and I have been trying to make it to the beach just about every weekend (as I know I won't be able to do it as much in the future). I usually tan pretty dark and maybe peel once, however, my skin is still peeling from 2 weeks ago. This Florida sun isn't like the NC sun, that's for sure.

It's starting to sink in that I'm "growing up". I've been thinking a lot about the type of practice I want to open when I graduate school. One thing is for sure, I'm not wanting to do corporate/commercial.

As for questions, let me know if any of you have questions on the process of admittance into OD school. This was my second year applying, so I've become pretty knowledgeable about it.

P.S. I'll be posting nice new pics next week from my first week at school! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!

    By now (second applicant), you are pretty sure that's what you want for career.

    I've been thinking about optometry for a while now, however, I have not yet shadowed an optometrist. You wrote: one thing for sure, I'm not wanting to do corporate/commercial.

    Precisely, of this uncertainty, why I'm a little hesitant about OD. From what I hear, there are tremendous challenges to opening a private practice (more so than ever before). But that I'll have to decide where the field is truly heading.

    I would like to know how much bearing shadowing had on acceptance (say compared to medical school volunteering applicants)? What were key things necessary for admittance to NSU (i.e. vision research)? What is considered a good OAT score for admittance, particularly at NOVA? How soon, should one submit application? Did you consider other professions?

    I am in Florida and I must say, this may be the only OD school I apply to for many obvious reasons. Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing against corporate optometry, but I've worked in PLENTY of private practices and have many connections inside the optical industry. This is just something that I personally want.

    As for shadowing, I don't believe they take that much into it. There are people in my class that had only a day or so. Personally, I worked in the field for 10 years, so that was never a problem for me.

    As for the OAT score, shoot for the highest, but most schools require a minimum of a 300. I would submit your app asap since it's rolling admissions.

    ReplyDelete